Resources for Students
The Center for Career Development (CCD) has compiled these resources and articles to guide you in pursuing your career goals. These are not meant to be all encompassing, but instead are a springboard for you to begin navigating your career journey from college to graduation, and throughout your life. Click on a topic to get started:
- Weekly Newsletter
- International Students
- Utilizing LinkedIn & Other Social Media for the Job Search
- Networking & Building a Professional Network
- Business Etiquette
- Resume Writing & Professional Communication
- Entrepreneurship, Small Businesses & Startups
- Professional Attire
- Disabilities & the Workplace
- Portfolios: Staying Organized on Your Career Journey
- Industries, Occupations & Organizations
- Guides and Presentations
- An information portal and online community for visa job hunters around the world. Its major services include annual and quarterly reports for H1B visa and Green Card, Customized H1B Visa Solution, Visa Sponsor Profile, Candidate Profile, Resume Service, and Smart Apply for job applicants.
- Uniworld - Find American firms and their locations in other countries, and firms based in other countries with locations in the United States.
- H1 Base Website
- Series of online databases listing over 20,000 US companies who have recently filed the appropriate paperwork to sponsor an international person for H1B visa. Useful for identifying companies to target for employment on a practical training visa (CPT & OPT) or H1B visa.
UTILIZING LINKEDIN, Sallyportal & OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA FOR THE JOB SEARCH
- 4 Key Elements of a Killer LinkedIn Summary
- What You Should Be Doing on LinkedIn Every Month, Week, and Day
- Find Your Career Passion: How LinkedIn Can Help
- 3 Smart Ways to Attract Recruiters to Your LinkedIn Profile
- Q & A: LinkedIn Etiquette
- Sallyportal - Rice's LinkedIn Network
NETWORKING & BUILDING A PROFESSIONAL NETWORK
- How To Work A Room: The Art of Building & Maintaining Mutually Beneficial Relationships
- 6 People Who Will Do Amazing Things for Your Career
- How to Network on LinkedIn
- Check Out the CCD Pinterest Board for More Tips and Articles About Networking & Building a Professional Network
- American vs. European Dining: Examples of Resting and Finished
- A Properly Appointed Table
- Dining Etiquette and the Second Job Interview
- The New Rules Of Business Etiquette
- Check Out the CCD Pinterest Board for More Tips and Articles About Business Etiquette
RESUME WRITING, INTERVIEWING & OTHER PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION
- 12 Tiny Changes That Make Your Resume Easy for Recruiters to Skim
- Five Things to Take Off Your Resume in 2020
- How To Write the Perfect Cover Letter
- 10 Things Your Interviewer Wants You to Know
- How Long Should I Wait to Follow Up After an Interview?
- Elevator Speech
ENTREPRENEURSHIP, SMALL BUSINESSES & STARTUPS
Project Based Student Employment Opportunities
Looking for a great way to make money and gain work experience on a schedule that works with your classes? Checkout HireOwl. They can provide you with a wide variety of paid part-time job opportunities, short-term projects, and internships. Signing up is easy! Fill out a short profile and start receiving personalized HireOwl job alerts directly to your inbox.
- When Most Entrepreneurs Are in Their Prime (Infographic)
- Want to Start a Business Fresh Out of College? Try Freelancing First.
- The Difference Between A Startup And A Small Business
- What To Know Before You Apply To A Startup
- Startup or Corporate: Which is Better for Your Career?
- 8 Reasons To Choose A Startup Over A Corporate Job
DISABILITIES & THE WORKPLACE
- Job Accommodation Network · A free consulting service designed to increase the employability of people with disabilities by: (1) providing individualized worksite accommodation solutions, (2) providing technical assistance regarding the ADA and other disability related legislation and (3) educating callers about self-employment options.
- United States Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy · This site provides national leadership by developing and influencing disability-related employment policy and practice affecting the employment of people with disabilities. The Office of Disability Employment Policy offers job-related programs, events and grants.
PORTFOLIOS: STAYING ORGANIZED IN YOUR CAREER JOURNEY
- Portfolium · Your last class project or presentation could be exactly what top employers are looking for. Don't get lost in a sea of generic resumes. Set yourself apart by using Portfolium to showcase and submit your best: presentations, videos, writing samples, images, designs, prototypes, code, and more!
- Interfolio · A well-established electronic dossier file service in Washington, DC affiliated with ETS. Rice students and alumni who have utilized Interfolio have reported positive results. Interfolio is not affiliated with the Center for Career Development or Rice University, so students are encouraged to carefully read the Interfolio user agreement, which is subject to change. A dossier service is a way for you to collect, store, distribute and track letters of recommendation and other important academic or professional documents. This is often helpful when preparing for applications to graduate school or if you are considering a career in academia. You may choose to manage your own files, or you can establish an account with one of the electronic dossier file services available on the market.
- Carbonmade - Create and manage your online portfolio.
INDUSTRIES, OCCUPATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS
- MyWorldAbroad · International career resource for students geared towards helping students build global career skills and access international opportunities.
- NACE Salary Calculator · Students can enter education, industry, and geographical information to receive relevant salary data.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook · Browse through occupations by job title and find more about the training and education required, future employment projections and more.
- O*Net Online · Find information on occupations by career cluster, industry, job family, area of interest, values, STEM discipline and more.
- Salary.com · Salary.com can help potential employees make decisions regarding compensation and to learn what to expect when assessing salaries regionally.
- The Ladders · Stay up to date on the skills, education, experience and compensation of your peers to keep a pulse on your career market.
- Zip Recruiter.com - Job search engine
- Ground Floor Data Scientist - Blog aimed at people looking to enter the data science field.