Virtual Career and Internship Expo
To better connect you with employers while maintaining Covid safety, we will be hosting a virtual expo on September 23. You are encouraged to view employers attending and sign up for their 1:1 or group sessions in Handshake.
Click here to register for the virtual fair.
Career Development Workshops
The following workshops are typically held throughout the fall/spring semesters in Huff House 107. All students and alumni are invited to attend! Be sure to check the CCD Events Calendar (Handshake) for specific dates & times. Please RSVP!
Learn strategies for developing an effective resume for any audience, Students will learn to:
- Understand key components of a resume
- Develop the ability to confidently craft bullet points
- Distinguish between necessary and unnecessary resume content.
To view a recording of a previous Resume workshop, please click here.
LinkedIn & Networking Workshop
Learn how to develop professional LinkedIn and Sallyportal profiles and how to maximize its many functions including making connections and finding opportunities.
To view a recording of a previous LinkedIn and Networking workshop, please click here.
Expo Prep Basics Workshop
What will you say? What will you wear? What will you bring? This workshop is geared towards students participating in their first Career & Internship Expo. Students will learn how to:
- Build confidence in effectively preparing for, and navigating Career Expo
- Develop an “elevator pitch” and gain practical networking skills.
To view a recording of a previous Expo Prep workshop, please click here. (Please note this recording is focused on virtual career fair attendance. Please check Handshake for an upcoming event to help you prepare to attend an in person expo)
Learn and practice how to prepare for and to best articulate your skills and experiences during an interview. Students will be able to:
- Recognize the purpose of interviews
- Demonstrate professional behavior(s), including preparedness, professional attire, and appropriate follow up
- Develop confidence in verbal and non-verbal communication related to interviewing skills.
To view a recording of a previous Interview workshop, please click here.
Professionalism in the Workplace
Learn and practice how to best present yourself professionally, what you might be missing, and what tools and resources are available to help you throughout the process. You will also be able to:
- Discover how to best articulate your skills and experiences to employers and contacts
- Explain the basics of professional communication expectations in the workplace
- Improve your ability to write an effective, professional email, and to communicate with peers, supervisors, and clients.
How to Succeed in On-Campus Recruiting (OCR)
Are you potentially interested in participating in Fall On-Campus Recruiting (OCR)? Do you know want to know what Fall On-Campus recruiting is? Are you confused as to why you've been seeing recruiting events for Summer 2019 this spring? In this session you will learn:
- The types of employers that typically recruit on campus
- Hiring timelines
- Steps to take now to help you land an interview
- What to expect during Fall OCR
- Recruiting policies
Salary Negotiation Workshop
Learn effective salary negotiation strategies that are applicable across position types and industries. Effective research is key to salary negotiation, so you will also learn the best strategies to conduct salary/offer research. By the end of the workshop, you will:
- Learn how to best respond to questions about salary during the interview/offer process
- Understand how to research salary and benefit information from a variety of sources
- Understand the content of employment offers and how to evaluate said content
- Understand how to effectively negotiate your offer package to fit your individual needs
Internship & Job Search Workshop
Gain insight on how to conduct an effective job or internship search. Students will learn to: develop an internship or job search plan of action to maximize your success, and identify & explore essential CCD job search resources and programs.
To view a recording of a previous Internship & Job Search workshop, please click here.
Grad Focus Workshops
This series is designed for graduate students seeking to transition from academia to industry. Various topics are considered each semester.
CCD Signature Events
The CCD has recurring events every semester to help you in your career development. To stay up to date on all of our event information and to RSVP, make sure to check Handshake! Here are a few CCD favorites, that happen every school year or each semester:
Business Etiquette Lunch
Which fork should be used for your first course? How should you introduce yourself?
Second interviews are routinely conducted over a meal. Join Diane Gottsman from the Protocol School of Texas to learn about improving your professional image and marketability during this crucial part of the recruiting process. Topics include dining etiquette, managing introductions, and basic conversation skills. Students consistently leave saying "I didn't know I didn't know!" Business Etiquette Lunch happens every October and costs $10 to attend. Registration opens in Handshake in the fall semester.
Fall Picnic with Resumayhem
Get your resume critiqued before the Expo and on-campus interviewing while enjoying snacks from Houston’s favorite food trucks! Inside Huff House, CCD staff, Peer Career Advisors, employers, and alumni mentors are available to help you better market yourself on paper to employers. Resume critiques are on a first-come, first-serve basis, and will typically take about 15 minutes per person. You can sign up for a resume at the event and receive a text message notification when it’s your turn.
While you’re waiting for a resume review, enjoy the DJ, t-shirt giveaways, desserts, drinks, food trucks, games, and more!
Fall Picnic with Resumayhem happens at the beginning of the school year at the end of August.
CCD at Coffeehouse *cancelled until further notice*
Every semester, we take the CCD on “the road!” You can find a CCD table outside of Coffeehouse, stacked with materials and staff ready to help you with your resume, interview tips, and more. Just stop by the table during CCD Express -- all posted in the events section of Handshake.