Thank you for helping our students grow professionally through work study and on-campus employment opportunities! Here at the CCD we are happy to help you share these opportunities with Rice students through Handshake. Handshake is Rice University's one stop shop for Rice students' career development needs! As an employer, Handshake allows you to post your position and review applications all in one user friendly platform. We are excited to get you and your team on Handshake as soon as possible to hire Rice students for on-campus opportunities! Below, you will find a step by step guide on
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Elsa Schieffelin, Assistant Director, Employer Relations & Alumni Engagement.
To learn how to create an employer account on Handshake, watch this short video. There also are written instructions below.
1. Registration Link: Click here to begin the registration process. The page that you are redirected to will allow you to create an account and to automatically join Rice University's employer page on Handshake.
2. Account information: Fill in your information to the best of your ability. Be sure to use your Rice email address when creating your account. If you do not, you will not be able to join the Rice University employer page.
3. Hiring preferences: Select what types of majors you are interested in hiring. You can also identify into your alma matar. Please note that you must select at least one category before continuing, but this does not limit the students who will see your job postings.
4. Employer disclaimer: To foster a culture of safety and transparency, Handshake requires that all employers follow their guidelines. Indicate that you are not a third-party recruiter and click the ‘Next: Confirm Email’ button to continue.
5. Confirm your email: Wait for a confirmation email. You should receive a confirmation email from Handshake. The confirmation email can take up to 10 minutes to reach your inbox so patience is key. If the confirmation email is not in your inbox or spam folder, please contact Rice IT to make sure that you receive this email. You cannot log in to Handshake without it.'
6. Select Schools: Once you have confirmed your email, Handshake will ask you to connect with schools. Once you connect with a school on Handshake, you can post jobs. Since we are already connected with Rice University, you will not need to specify any other schools. Click the "Next:Finish" button to continue.
Congratulations! You are officially a member of the Rice University community on Handshake!
To learn how to create an employer account on Handshake, watch this short video (written instructions are also provided below). If you have not already created an employer account in Handshake, please do so now. Instructions can be found above.
1. Go to Handshake: Once you have created your account, you can sign in to Handshake to post your position.
2. Go to the Jobs Page: Select the "Jobs" button the the left sidebar in order to create your posting. On the jobs page you can view all jobs that are posted by Rice University.
3. Create your Job: Click the "Create Job" button on the upper right hand corner of your screen. This will redirect you to a blank jobs template. Please note that most of the fields will need to be filled out in order for your position to be posted.
Basics: Fill out the following information to the best of your ability...
Details: Fill out the following information to the best of your ability...
Preferences: Fill out any and all preferences you have for this position. Make sure that your name is included to receive an email alert about applicants. Feel free to add anyone else who would like to receive these notifications.
Schools: Under Schools, you will select which schools you would like to post to. To select Rice University you can either type in “Rice University” in the “search for schools” box or click the “Add Favorite Schools” button. Always be sure to set an expiration date for your post.
Preview: The Preview page allows you to see what our students will see when they find the job in Handsbhake. If you would like to edit anything, please feel free to go back and change your posting.
4. Save your job: When you are ready, select "save". Please note that your job will not be submitted if it is not saved.
To learn how to create an employer account on Handshake, watch this short video (written instructions are also provided below). If you are unsure how to create an employer account or post a job on Handshake, please see the tutorials above.
1. Go to Handshake: Once you have created your account, you can sign in to Handshake to view your posting.
2. Go to the Jobs Page: Select the "Jobs" button the the left sidebar. On the jobs page you can view all jobs that are posted by Rice University.
3. Find your Position: Using the search bar on the upper right corner of the jobs page, search and select your job posting.
4. Go to the Applicants Page: You can view your applicants by selecting the "Review # Applicants" button or by selecting the "Applicants" tab on your posting page.
5. Start Reviewing: On the applicants page, you can see each of your applicants, their name, their school, whether they fit your preferences, the date they applied, and their application status. To review each applicant in more detail, click on their name. There you will see an overview of their profile and any documents you required in your application. If you would like to review your candidates in bulk, click the “export documents” button at the top of your screen. This allows you to download the full application packet. After you are done reviewing a candidate, you can change their application status from “pending” to “reviewed”. Don’t worry, the students do not see whether you have or have not reviewed their application. Once you have made a decision and selected the candidate you would like to hire, change their status to “hired”.
Filters: If you have many candidates for a position and you want to narrow down the pool, you can filter by a number of subcategories, such as majors or skills.
Because students can select which notifications they recieve on Handshake, always be sure to communicate with candidates about their application status outside of Handshake.