SCHEDULING CAREER COUNSELING APPOINTMENTS
- Log into Handshake
- Under "Career Center," select Appointment
- Select “Schedule A New Appointment”
- Choose an Appointment Type that best fits your needs. Please note you're not limited to discussing only that topic with your counselor; they will be glad to discuss and/or schedule follow-ups for other topics.
- Choose a time convenient for you, or select a staff member you would most like to work with to view their schedule.
- Select your appointment medium (Skype, In Person, or Phone)
- There is space designated for you to write a confidential note to the counselor under the "What can we help you with?" section if you want to provide more details around the nature of your request.
- If you are selecting Skype, provide your username.
- If you are selecting Phone, please provide your phone number.
- Make sure you check your notifications and email for the status of your appointment.
For questions, call us at (713) 348-4055 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you!
TYPES OF CAREER COUNSELING APPOINTMENTS
Assessment Initial Overview (Strong, MBTI) - 30 Min
Career and personality assessments are tools that can be used if you’re unsure of what to major in, need clarification on possible post-graduate plans, or want to gain a better understanding of where you are in your career development process. During this initial appointment, your career counselor will discuss the purpose of the assessments and will learn more of your background and areas of interest as it pertains to your career exploration before deciding which assessment(s) best fit(s) your needs.
Assessment Interpretation Follow-Up (Strong, MBTI) - 50 Min
After you have completed your assessment, you will meet with your career counselor to interpret your assessment results. You will not have immediate access to your MBTI and Strong Interest Inventory Assessment results, as a counselor must interpret these. Be sure to take the assessments at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment. There is a fee for the assessments, which can be waived for students in financial need (please discuss with your career counselor at the Assessment Initial Overview appointment).
The MBTI Career Report for undergraduates and early-career graduate students is offered at a cost of $15.
The MBTI Interpretive Report for Organizations for later-career graduate students, post docs, and alumni at cost of $35.
The Strong Interest Inventory is offered at a cost of $10.
Career Gear/Dress for Success Referral - 30 Min
The CCD partners with two community organizations, Career Gear Houston and Dress for Success Houston, to assist students who may have financial barriers in obtaining professional business attire. A mandatory referral appointment with the CCD is needed in order to participate in either beneficial program. During this appointment, your career counselor will discuss the programs in more depth, including the process and procedures for each organization in order to obtain services, and if you qualify, schedule your appointment with the organization. These clothes are yours to keep, as these organizations are not rental services.
Employment Exploration (Job Search) - 50 Min
Your career counselor can help you to better understand your interests and needs as you consider your postgraduate career plans and options. Employment Exploration is a process and may require one or several appointments during your time here at Rice, depending on where you are in the exploration process.
Graduate School Exploration - 50 Min
Your career counselor can assist you in understanding the application process for graduate schools and discuss if graduate school is the right decision for you and your career goals. Please bring any research that you have already conducted to your appointment.
Internship Exploration - 50 Min
Your career counselor can help you to better understand your interests and needs as you consider your internship options. Internships are ever more important in the professional development journey of undergraduate and graduate students. Securing an internship during your time at Rice University is a wonderful way to gain professional working experience while exposing yourself to the world of work.
Major/Career Path Exploration - 50 Min
Your career counselor can assist you in exploring and identifying your personality type, interests, strengths, and values as they relate to possible career paths. In this meeting, we can explore various careers, majors, minors, or career-related activities together to help guide you through this sometimes confusing process. Please bring any ideas or plans you have considered with you to this appointment if you have them. If you do not, that is perfectly fine! We can begin the exploration process together from the start. For academic planning assistance or questions regarding courses, please visit the Office of Academic Advising.
Mock Interview - 50 Min
Mock interviews are useful exercises to help develop and refine your interviewing skills. Your career counselor will spend about 30-40 min going over interview questions tailored to the position, graduate school, or program to which you are applying, ending with feedback on how you can better improve your skillset. In order to be more comfortable during the actual interview, please come dressed as you would for a true interview, if possible.
Professional Correspondence Review (Cover Letter, Email...) - 30 Min
Your career counselor can help to strengthen your professional documents, such as your cover letter, LinkedIn profile, networking outreach messages, and job offer negotiation documents. Please review the guides and bring a hard copy to the appointment if you have one prepared. No worries if you do not have any documents developed already, your career counselor can still discuss the process of developing effective documents. A follow-up an appointment to review the final product may be necessary.
Professional Headshot - 10 Min
Need a new or more professional LinkedIn photo? Are you working in a public-facing role that requires a headshot? The Center for Career Development provides free headshots in front of Lovett Hall (near the Sallyport) to give you a more dynamic and expressive headshot than stuffy posed photos on a background. By having a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile, you are exponentially more likely to be seen by recruiters and colleagues! 3-5 edited images will be delivered via email.
Resume, CV Review - 30 Min
A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) is an essential part of the job search process, as it serves as the primary way employers evaluate your professional qualifications. Please bring a hard copy of your resume/CV to your appointment. Also, review the resume guide & use Optimal Resume - a resume building tool - (located in the Resources section of Handshake) to maximize the effectiveness of your appointment.
CANCELING APPOINTMENTS & OTHER POLICIES
- Log into Handshake to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
- If it is less than 24 hours before your appointment time, please email your counselor directly. If you do not remember the advisor's name or email address, send your message to email@example.com and we will forward it to the appropriate person.
- If you are a no-show or cancel two consecutive appointments, approval of subsequent appointments will be at the discretion of the CCD staff.
- Payment for assessment fees is due at the time of the Assessment Interpretation Follow-Up appointment. Payment can be made by cash, credit/debit, or tuition account form.
- Currently enrolled undergraduates, non-MBA graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and alumni who have graduated within the past three years have access to the CCD at no charge, excluding assessment fees.
DROP-IN HOURS -
- Drop-Ins are short, 10 minute appointments ideal for quick career questions (ex. resumes, elevator pitches, and cover letters).
- You can sign up for drop-in hours by going to Handshake, then clicking “On-Campus Interviews.” The schedule will appear 24 hours before each drop-in time.
- We are extending our drop-in hours ahead of fall recruiting season!
**Extended drop-in hours will be offered on weekdays from 10:00am – 2:00pm M-F between August 24 - September 14 **
*After 9/14, drop-in hours will occur virtually from 12-1pm while class is in session.
No drop-in hours will be held on the following fall 2020 dates:
September 4: Resumayhem
September 7: Labor Day
September 11: CCD Career Conference
September 15: Fall 2020 Career & Internship Expo